– 3 tablespoons canola oil
– 1 large onion, finely chopped
– 4 slices bacon, chopped (optional)
– 3 (15 ounce) cans low-sodium navy or great northern beans, rinsed
– 1 ½ cups water
– ¾ cup ketchup
– ⅓ cup brown sugar
– 1 tablespoon white vinegar
– 1 teaspoon chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
– ½ teaspoon salt
– ½ teaspoon ground pepper
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and bacon, if using; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 6 to 10 minutes.
2. Add beans, water, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, chipotle, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are very tender and the liquid has thickened, about 30 minutes.
All content on InGoodHealth.co is intended for informational and educational purposes only. Consult your healthcare provider for medical advice, diagnosis and treatment.