– 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
– 2 medium carrots, chopped
– 2 stalks celery, sliced
– 1 medium onion, finely chopped
– 1/4 c. tomato paste
– 3 cloves garlic, crushed with press
– 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
– 1 tsp. smoked paprika
– 3 c. lower-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
– 3 cans (15 oz. each) lower-sodium black beans, undrained
– 1 c. frozen corn
– Avocado chunks and cilantro leaves, for serving
1. In 12-inch skillet, heat oil on medium-high. Add carrots, celery and onion. Cook 6 to 8 minutes or until starting to brown, stirring occasionally. Add tomato paste, garlic, cumin and smoked paprika.
2. Cook, stirring, 1 to 2 minutes or until garlic is golden and tomato paste has browned. Stir in 1/2 cup broth, scraping up any browned bits.
3. Transfer contents of skillet to 6- to 8-quart slow-cooker bowl along with beans, corn and remaining broth. Cover and cook on High for 4 hours or Low for 6 hours. Serve with avocado and cilantro.
All content on InGoodHealth.co is intended for informational and educational purposes only. Consult your healthcare provider for medical advice, diagnosis and treatment.