– 12 1/2 ounces Chicken breast, boneless, skinless, fresh or frozen, raw
– 1 teaspoon Canola oil
– 1 1/4 cups Onions, fresh 1/4″ diced
– 1 clove Garlic, fresh, minced (1 clove is about 1/2 teaspoon minced)
– 1/4 teaspoon Salt, table
– 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper, ground
– 3/4 cup Tomatoes with juice, canned, diced
– 1 tablespoon Tomato paste, canned
– 3/4 cup Hominy, canned, drained
– 1/2 cup Water
– 2 tablespoons Cilantro, fresh, chopped
– 1 Fresh lime, cut into eight wedges (optional)
– Nonstick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 400 °F. Spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Place chicken breasts on a baking sheet. Bake for 15-25 minutes (Note: For large chicken breasts, cut in half to decrease cooking time.) Bake until internal temperature reaches 165 °F or higher for at least 15 seconds.
3. Remove chicken breasts from oven. Let chicken breast sit for 10 minutes to cool slightly, then dice.
4. Heat oil in a medium stockpot on medium-high heat.
5. Add onions and sauté until soft.
6. Add garlic, salt, and pepper. Continue cooking on medium-high heat until garlic is fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Stir frequently.
7. Add cooked chicken, diced tomatoes with juice, tomato paste, hominy, and water. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. If too thick, add more water for desired consistency. Critical Control Point: Heat to 140 °F or higher for at least 15 seconds.
8. Remove pozole from heat and stir in fresh cilantro.