For the Whole-Wheat Dough:
– 1 cup whole-wheat flour
– 1 cup 9-grain flour (or you can substitute all-purpose or semolina)
– 2 eggs, beaten
– 2 teaspoons olive oil
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 1 egg, beaten, for sealing
For the Red Flag Stripe Dough:
– 1/2 beet, peeled, halved, and quartered
– 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
– 1/2 cup 9-grain flour (or you can substitute all-purpose or semolina)
– 1 egg, beaten
– 1 teaspoon olive oil
– 1/8 teaspoon salt
– Water, if needed, to form dough
For the Sauce:
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
– 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
– 8 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
– 1 squash, peeled and chopped
– 1 zucchini, peeled and chopped
– Sprig of fresh oregano or ¼ teaspoon dried
– 2 sprigs of thyme or ½ teaspoon dried
– Sprig of rosemary or ¼ teaspoon dried
– 1 tablespoon agave
– 1/3 cup heavy cream
For the Filling:
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
– 1/2 onion, peeled and diced
– 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
– 2 cups shrimp, peeled, tails removed, finely chopped
– 1 tablespoon dried parsley
– 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
1. To make the Whole-Wheat Dough: In a large mixing bowl, combine the two flours. Form a hole or nest in the flour and add eggs, oil and salt; stir to mix. Add a bit of flour or water, if needed, to form a dough. Separate the dough into two equal pieces and feed into the pasta maker to form a long, thin sheet of pasta dough. Or, flatten the dough with a rolling pin into a sheet, ¼-inch thick or less.
2. To make the Red Flag-Stripe Dough: In a medium saucepan filled with cold water, boil beets over medium-high heat, about 5 minutes, or until soft. In a blender, combine the beets with ¼ cup of the beet water, and blend into a puree. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flours. Form a hole or nest in the flour and add beet puree, eggs, oil, salt; stir to mix. Add a bit of flour or water, if needed, to form a dough. Separate the dough into two equal pieces and feed into the pasta maker to form long, thin pasta strands, like spaghetti noodles. Or, flatten the dough with a rolling pin into a sheet, ¼-inch thick or less and use a knife to make skinny long strips. Lay the red dough strips on top of the sheets of whole-wheat dough, ½-inch apart in a stripe pattern, and press into pasta. Lay it flat.
3. To make the Sauce: Toss all the sauce ingredients into a crockpot on low heat for 10 hours or more. Or, in a large stockpot, warm olive oil over medium heat, cook the garlic for 2 minutes, then add the remaining ingredients, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes until slightly thickened.
4. To make the Filling: In a large nonstick skillet, warm the olive oil over medium heat, add the onions, garlic, and shrimp, and cook for 6 minutes or until the shrimp is pink and cooked through. Add the parsley and ricotta cheese and mix well. Salt to taste.
5. To Assemble: Place ½ tablespoon of filling on the overturned, flat dough sheet about ½-inch apart. Brush beaten egg around the mounds of filling. Place the other flat sheet of dough on top of the mounds, so that the stripes are facing up. Press a very small cup, bowl, or cookie cutter around each mound of dough and filling to create a cut-out ravioli. Use the extra dough to make more raviolis. Seal the dough edges with a fork. In a large stockpot of boiling salted water, drop 10 ravioli in at a time, and cook over medium heat, for 6 minutes, or until they are completely cooked and float up to the top. On each plate, combine 5 ravioli with ¼ cup of tomato sauce and serve.