– 1 pound beef round roast (thawed)
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
– 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
– 8 red potatoes (peeled and quartered, or 2 cans, about 30 ounces, low-sodium sliced potatoes, drained)
– 2 turnips (peeled and quartered, or 1 can, about 15 ounces, low-sodium sweet potatoes)
– 1/2 cup onion (chopped into 1-inch pieces)
– 1/2 cup carrots (chopped into 1-inch pieces)
– 1/2 cup low-sodium tomato juice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Season the roast with salt and pepper.
3. In a large pan, brown the roast in the oil over medium to high heat for 10 to 12 minutes. Drain fat.
4. Use a large iron skillet or roasting pan. Put the roast in the middle of the pan. Add the potatoes, turnips, onions, and carrots around the roast.
5. Pour the tomato juice over the roast and vegetables.
6. Cover the pan with a lid or foil and bake for 1 hour or until potatoes are cooked.
7. If desired, cut roast into one inch chunks. Mix and serve.