Makes 48 muffins. Per Serving:
– 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
– 2 cups whole wheat flour
– 1/2 cup sugar substitute (baking blend)
– 1/2 cup brown sugar substitute (baking blend)
– 1 tablespoon baking soda
– 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
– 2 teaspoons salt
– 5 large eggs (slightly beaten)
– 4 cups low-fat buttermilk
– 1 cup canola oil
– 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
– 12 3/4 cups box bran flakes cereal (17.3 ounce)
– 2 large carrots (grated)
– 1 cup raisins
– 1 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F and line 2 (12-cup) cupcake pans with liners.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the all-purpose and whole wheat flours, along with the sugar substitute and brown sugar substitute, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
3. In a second large bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, oil, and applesauce.
4. Gradually fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients then add the bran flakes cereal, carrots, raisins, and walnuts and gently stir until incorporated.
5. Divide the batter in half. Fill the 2 pans with half the batter.
6. Bake the muffins until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes.
7. Once the pans are cool, remove the muffins and line both pans with new liners.
8. Fill the muffin cups with the remaining batter and bake the muffins until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes.