Makes 4 servings. Per Serving:
– 1 onion (small, chopped)
– 4 cloves garlic (minced)
– 1 can tomatoes, diced (14.5-oz can, low sodium, drained and rinsed)
– 2 cans black beans (15-oz can, low sodium, drained and rinsed)
– 2 potatoes (large, peeled and diced)
– 4 cups water
– 1/2 cup cilantro (fresh, chopped)
– 1/2 lime (squeezed)
– 1/8 teaspoon cumin powder (a pinch)
1. In a large pot cook onion, garlic and tomatoes on medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Stir often.
2. Add beans, potatoes and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low-medium heat. Cover and continue to cook slowly for 20 minutes.
3. Add cilantro, cumin and lime. Stir and continue to simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Serve warm; sprinkle cilantro on top.