Makes 6 servings. Per Serving:
– 3 cups penne pasta, whole-wheat, dry (12 oz)
– 1 teaspoon granulated garlic (1/2 tsp Garlic Powder)
– 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
– 1 cup cooked diced chicken, 1/2″ pieces (4 oz)
– 1 1/2 cups fat-free half and half
– 1 tablespoon enriched all-purpose flour
– 1/8 cup low-sodium chicken broth
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
– 1/2 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded (2 oz)
– 1/2 cup low-fat mozzarella cheese, low-moisture, part-skim, shredded (2 oz)
1. Preheat oven to 350 °F.
2. In a large pot, bring 2 quarts water to a boil. Gradually stir in pasta and return to a boil. Cook uncovered for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Do not overcook. Drain well. Toss pasta with ½ teaspoon garlic.
3. Fill a medium pot with water and bring to a boil. Add broccoli florets and cook for 5 minutes. Drain well. Sprinkle with remaining garlic.
4. Transfer pasta and broccoli to a medium casserole dish (about 8” x 11”) coated with nonstick cooking spray. Add chicken. Mix well.
5. In a small mixing bowl, mix ½ cup half and half with flour. Whisk to remove lumps.
6. In a medium skillet, heat chicken broth, salt, pepper, and remaining half and half. Stir constantly. Stir in half and half/flour mixture. Stir constantly and bring to a boil.
7. Reduce heat to low. Stir frequently for 5 minutes. Sauce will thicken. Add cheese and stir until cheese melts. Remove from heat. Pour sauce over broccoli/pasta mixture.
8. Cover casserole dish with lid or with foil. Bake at 350 °F for 8 minutes. Heat to an internal temperature of 165 °F or higher for at least 15 seconds (use a food thermometer to check the internal temperature). Remove from oven. Serve hot.