Makes 4 servings. Per Serving:
– 1 Vidalia onion (divided)
– 1/2 red bell pepper (sliced vertically)
– 1/2 green bell pepper (sliced vertically)
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
– 4 large eggs
– 4 egg whites
– 1/2 cup fat-free (skim) milk
– 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
– Cooking spray
– 4 slices whole-grain bread (4-6 slices, dry or toasted, cubed)
– 1/2 cup reduced-fat Italian blend cheese
– 10 cherry tomatoes (or 2 tomatoes)
– 1 garlic clove
1. Pack rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 350 ºF.
2. Cut Vidalia onion into slices vertically; reserve about 1/4 of onion. Heat oil in a 10-inch non-stick skillet. Sauté onion and pepper slices for 5-8 minutes, until tender and just starting to brown. Remove from heat.
3. Beat eggs, egg whites, milk, and pepper in large bowl, set aside.
4. Spray 8′ or 9′ baking pan (square or round) with cooking spray.
5. Arrange bread cubes in bottom of pan. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
6. Add sautéed vegetables and pour in egg mix.
7. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes, until set. Egg dishes should be cooked to 160 ºF.
8. While strata is baking, prepare salsa, by dicing and mixing cherry tomatoes, garlic, and remaining Vidalia onion.