Makes 6 servings. Per Serving:
– 1 cup instant pearl barley
– 4 cups water
– 2 whole bay leaves
– 3 medium onions
– 4 small celery stalks
– 1 cup diced green, red, yellow, or orange bell pepper
– 2 medium cloves garlic
– 1 tablespoon canola oil
– 4 ounces ground turkey
– 2 (14.5-oz) cans diced tomato (no salt added)
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
– 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
– 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. In a colander, rinse barley under cold water.
2. In a medium pot over high heat, bring barley, water, and bay leaves to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook barley until tender and water is absorbed, about 20-30 minutes.
3. In a colander, drain barley. Set aside.
4. Peel, rinse, and dice onions. Rinse and dice celery and pepper. Peel and mince garlic.
5. In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat oil.
6. Add onions, celery, pepper, and garlic to pot. Mix well. Cook until veggies are soft, about 5 minutes.
7. Add ground turkey. Cook until internal temperature registers 165 °F on a food thermometer, about 5 minutes more.
8. Add tomatoes and their juices. Bring to a simmer.
9. Add spices. Stir to combine. Cover and reduce heat. Cook at a low simmer for 15 minutes.
10. Add cooked barley to the mixture. Stir to combine. Add more water or broth, if needed. Cook over low heat to bled flavors, about 5-10 minutes more.
11. Remove bay leaves and serve.