Makes 6 servings. Per Serving:
– 1/2 cup Brown rice, long-grain, uncooked
– 1 cup Water
– 1/2 teaspoon Salt, table
– 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper, ground
– 1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder
– 2 teaspoons Cumin, ground
– 12 1/2 ounces Chicken tenderloins, boneless, skinless, fresh or frozen, raw (about 2 1/4 oz per tenderloin)
– 3/4 cup Onion, fresh, peeled, 1/4″ diced
– 3/4 cup Green bell pepper, fresh, 1/4″ diced
– 3 cloves Garlic, fresh, minced (1 clove is about 1/2 teaspoon minced)
– 2 teaspoons Oregano, leaves, dried
– 3/4 cup Tomatoes with juice, canned, diced (3/4 cup = about 1/2 of a 14.5 oz can)
– 1 cup Chicken broth, low-sodium
– Nonstick cooking spray
1. Combine brown rice and water in a small stockpot.
2. Heat on medium-high heat to a rolling boil.
3. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook about 10-15 minutes. Stir, cover, and cook an additional 10 minutes over low heat until water is absorbed. Fluff the rice gently with a fork.
4. In a small bowl combine seasonings: Salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and cumin.
5. Sprinkle chicken tenderloins with 1/2 of the seasoning mixture. Reserve the remaining seasoning mixture for step 11.
6. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray. Place chicken tenderloins evenly spaced on baking sheet.
7. Roast for 12-15 minutes. Chicken tenderloins should reach an internal temperature of 165 °F for at least 15 seconds.
8. While tenderloins are roasting, spray a medium skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
9. Place skillet over medium-high heat.
10. Add onion and peppers and sauté for about 3 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Stir frequently.
11. Add fresh garlic, oregano, tomatoes, and the remaining seasoning mixture. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
12. Add chicken broth and bring to boil.
13. Add cooked rice, stir well, and cover.
14. Cook for 7-10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
15. Serve one chicken tenderloin with 1/2 cup rice and vegetable mixture.